First Team Sponsor 2019 / 2020 Season - FRF Toyota SwanseaFirst Team Sponsor 2019 / 2020 Season - Benchmarc LogisticsPost Match Hospitality - Ivy Bush HotelWebsite Sponsor - Kitchens By Emma Reed
Sat 19
Cwmbran Celtic
First Team
T Grey (71'), D Griffiths (93'), C Davies (101')
A Massive Performance at Cwmbran Celtic in FA Wales Cup

A Massive Performance at Cwmbran Celtic in FA Wales Cup

By Gary Thomas
Share via

A fantastic effort from the whole squad in Gwent sees Town join the Round Two Draw

What a game and what a performance by a group of lads against Cymru South side Cwmbran Celtic

From the first whistle the lads took the game to our hosts and in the first 10 minutes Josh Dorward had 3 clear cut chances as the home side couldn't deal with Town's accuracy and speed. On 11 minutes Josh Roberts had a decent strike but the keeper was well positioned to save.

For the first 30 minutes Town were clearly on top and with the home side arguing with each other more chances came but unfortunately went with Callum Silcox, Josh Roberts and Josh Dorward all going close. Then, on 31 minutes, with their first meaningful attack of the half the home side took the lead through Zac Osborne whose close range strike gave keeper Steven Reeve no chance. Dissapointed but still positive Town kept plugging away but that equaliser, a deserved one, didn't come.

Town had a positive start to the second half well but on 55 minutes Chris Ham gave Cwmbran Celtic a goal lead with a strike from the edge of the box

On 59 minutes Town made their first change with Jordan Langley coming on for Christian Evans and Town immediately went close through Joe Lloyd after great work from Josh Dorward.

Surely the goal had to come and it did but came from the unlikely source of Centre Half Tom Grey who hit a great strike which hit the roof of the net on 71 minutes .... Game On

Town made 2 further changes with Callum Dolman and Darren Griffiths coming on from the bench.

Town were all over Celtic now and on 85 minutes a desperate lunge saw them clear off the line and they were hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Then, 3 minutes into injury time, the ever cool Darren Griffiths slotted the ball home from close range taking the game into extra time. This was only what Town deserved and the bench was ecstatic.

Extra time belonged to Town and 8 minutes into the first half up rose Craig "Bunji" Davies, Town Captain, to meet a corner and his header hit the back of the net giving the home keeper no chance.

Celtic did, in fairness, give it a real go but Town were always in control and Steven Reeve, in the Town goal, had very little to do in extra time

The final whistle saw fantastic celebrations for Town and we now look forward to finding out our Round Two opponents in games that will take place on the 9th of November

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 19, Oct 2019